Monday, August 23, 2010

Ramona and Roller Skating

One of the things I liked about Edgar Wright's Scott Pilgrim vs. the World was that Mary Elizabeth Winstead's Ramona, with her neon-colored hair, long legs, peculiar wardrobe and fancy for roller skating, is like a character pulled right out of Jet Grind Radio.

There's one scene in particular where she's wearing these aviation goggles on top of her head and suddenly the reference just slapped me across the face.

Both Jet Grind Radio (Dreamcast; released in 2000) and its sequel Jet Set Radio Future (Xbox; released in 2002) were two of my favorite games growing up. Essentially free-skate graffiti-art racers, they were some of the first cel-shaded video games I can remember and they always had these goofy yet catchy soundtracks that I can still remember to this day - I believe I still have a copy in my closet.

No comments:

Post a Comment