Friday, September 18, 2009

Eastwood, Damon: Part Two

By Chase Kahn

Clint Eastwood's Invictus (Warner Bros. 12.11.09) will likely be a major year-end awards contender later this year. The Nelson Mandela biopic will star Morgan Freeman and Matt Damon during Mandela's first term as President of South Africa after the fall of the apartheid.

Well now, Eastwood is joining up with Damon again, this time on Hereafter, a supernatural thriller written by Peter Morgan (The Queen, Frost/Nixon) and set to begin shooting next fall.

I'm not a huge fan of Eastwood's directorial effors of the past seven years or so. Letters From Iwo Jima is an amazing film, but Gran Torino was as wretched as Changeling was bloated. However, anytime he's working with Matt Damon -- or I should say anytime Damon is working with anybody -- I'm interested, sign me up, done deal.

Anyway, it's a big day -- off to see Steven Soderbergh's The Informant! plus upcoming reviews of Robert Siegel's Big Fan (which, it turns out, is an inappropirate title for me) and Jan Troell's Everlasting Moments

1 comment:

  1. Clint Eastwood's always been an up and down director, regardless of what people try to make him out to be. I mildly enjoyed Gran Torino & Changeling. I thought Million dollar Baby was classic (in my top 100) And Letters From Iwo Jima is one of the best films of its year (which got undercut far too much in favor of its weaker component, Flags of our Fathers, at oscar time).

    ReplyDelete