Sunday, September 4, 2011

"Carlos" on Blu-ray

I saw Olivier Assayas' 339-minute "Carlos" in fragmented segments on the Sundance Channel when it aired sometime last February, and I'm guessing that watching it at home on the small screen, in some way, was cause to blame for my underwhelming reaction to it. 
-
I remember thinking that I was mightily fatigued by the end and that the revolutionary epic, be it of an urban or jungle variety, was wearing me down. (To this day, I would still prefer Stephen Soderbergh's "Che" or Uli Edel's "The Baader Meinhof Complex".)
-
However, I'm still willing to give "Carlos" another shot on the new Criterion Blu-ray one of these days because too many people I trust reacted strongly to it last year, and I continue to be at a loss as to why. 

No comments:

Post a Comment