Sunday, September 4, 2011

"Apollo 18" Pulls a 'D' from Audiences

It seems to me that I saw the first teasers for Trevor Cawood's "Apollo 18," the latest found-footage horror film in a recent trend that took this suddenly popular sub-genre to the moon, and thinking that it looked pretty interesting, if nothing else. I'm saying that I legitimately wanted to see it. 
-
Then the thing just disappeared, it seemed. (Ironic, given its lost-and-found conceit.) I didn't hear anything of it, no longer saw any trailers, lobby ads, posters, etc. Well it finally came out this past Friday (delayed a full six months from its original March 4th release) to abominable results. 
-
Don't get me wrong, I'm not surprised that it's a critical failure (or even a box-office failure), but the level at which it's being vehemently disposed of is quite shocking. A 'D' rating on Cinemascore? An $11 million 4-day weekend? Rottentomatoes and Metacritic scores under 25? Random twitter outbursts of vitrol-spewing condemnation? Yeah, people hate it. Sadly, this has me more curious than if it had simply been shruged off.  

No comments:

Post a Comment