Friday, October 28, 2011

M4

I saw Sean Durkin's "Martha Marcy May Marlene" back in August, I believe, but now that it has expanded somewhat and people are actually getting out there and seeing it, I just wanted to reiterate how much of a fan I am.
-
I described the film, in my review dated 8.26, as a thriller that "burns and unsettles with a protracted, detached sense of dread." 
-
"As the film progresses, promise of past and present colliding makes for anxious, nervy paranoia that debut filmmaker Sean Durkin exploits into a perturbed, teasing conclusion."
-
I can't recommend it enough, not merely for Elizabeth Olsen's debut performance, but for Durkin's slow-burn mood pacing and some of the best, most overlooked below-the-line technical work of year. In a just world, "Martha Marcy May Marlene" would get serious awards attention for its editing and cinematography (both of which are my favorites so far this year), and it quite honestly dwarfs Debra Granik's "Winter's Bone" in many ways. 

No comments:

Post a Comment