Tuesday, December 21, 2010

You're Only a Day Away

So tomorrow I'm off to see Joel Coen and Ethan Coen's True Grit - again. I saw the film last week and I was severely underwhelmed. Is it an exceptionally polished production? Unquestionably, that wasn't the issue. 
-
My problem stemmed from the fact that it was entirely too content to hem and haw and spout its admittedly glorious old-West dialogue without ever going anywhere. In the end it's too folksy and sentimental and I desperately needed just a spark of that Coen Brothers hard-edged cynicism. 
-
I'm giving it another shot tomorrow (perhaps my over-laughing audience I saw it with initially was ticking me off to its charms), so we'll see. One things for sure, though, this certainly isn't No Country for Old Men and it sure as hell isn't A Serious Man, this is a straight-up twelve-to-six curveball. 

No comments:

Post a Comment