Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Grading the Criterion Artwork - May, 2011

Criterion just keeps getting better, announcing seven new Blu-ray titles for the month of May, including Catherine Breillat's "Fat Girl", Jonathan Demme's "Something Wild",  Masahiro Shinoda's "Pale Flower", Ingmar Bergman's "Smiles of a Summer Night", Charlie Chaplin's "The Great Dictator", Henri-Georges Cluzout's "Diabolique" and Andrei Tarkovsky's "Solaris"
-
Now besides killer transfers and scholarly commentary tracks, Criterion is known for their highly unique packaging and cover designs. As an aspiring artist myself, I'm always fascinated by the conceptualized artwork that the Criterion crew decides upon, so much so that I've decided to apply grades to all the new (and old) cover art that will likely adorn my shelves in the coming months. 
 -
-
Criterion simply recycled the artwork from the 2004 release, and rightly so. I love the combination of the fat, blocky type under the delicate cursive of the director title - it hits on the thematic elements, but not too heavily (no pun intended). And that timid pose, the dark teal background, the flesh tones, it's a really great design and I'm glad they decided to keep it. [B+]
-
-
Another 2004 re-release recycled, only this one should have stayed in the past. Don't get me wrong, it's not bad or anything - it's very Bergmanesque with the straw and the monochrome landscape and the poses, I just get this feeling (contrary to "Fat Girl") that this is a dated design. It just looks old to me, like it's collecting dust at the Davis Public Library in Plano - and that gold! [C]
-
-
I haven't seen "Pale Flower", so I'm at a bit of disadvantage here, but my gut reaction is somewhat indifferent to this symmetrical, colorless design. I'm pretty sure I despise that black border and the nondescript type at the bottom, although the suggestive, noirish photograph taking center stage is intriguing. [C+]
-
-
Cover of the month? No doubt. I'm loving this Saul Bass-inspired design, which is very easy on the eyes with that swooping red hand leading you right into the good stuff. The type is divine and the texture of the whole piece is remarkable - seriously, look at this thing at the highest resolution possible, it's stunning. [A]
-
-
Okay, so this is stirring up quite the controversy on the message boards. The design is essentially the Olly Moss poster from 2008 with a more Germanic typeface substituted in. The bigger problem is that this comes just a month after the design for Mike Leigh's "Topsy Turvy", which, if you remember, is the exact some concept. Is that pink I see? [C]
-
 -
Criterion regular (at least of late) Sam Smith designed this one, and as someone who has never seen "Something Wild", I guess it's okay. The heart in the handcuff design is cute, to-the-point, but I'm not feeling the teal-and-pink on black simplicity. On the other hand (once again, no pun intended) the type is really strong. Otherwise, a little uninspired - adequate but a little empty. [C+]
-
 -
 As a massive Tarkovsky fan, I'm more than a little disappointed in this Sam Smith designed cover. I love the classic type (borrowed from the Russian poster) and the cool blue blending into the yellow-orange sky, but what's with what is now being referred to as "Floating Hari"? I've got to say it dominates the design so much so that it's hard to look past it and ultimately drags down an otherwise picturesque scene. 
-
Between this and the old DVD cover, It's pretty much a toss-up if you ask me. Coulda been a contender. [B-]

No comments:

Post a Comment